Wednesday 18 September 2013

Travel Update: Paris

'A walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty and the point of life.' - Thomas Jefferson

And that is exactly what it did. First day in Paris, was met with rain, and two missed trains, but still it was magnificent. We started the day with a stop-over in Epernay, where we purchased Champagne, note not sparkling wine, but actual Champagne from the  Champagne region - very impressed with ourselves until we realised we had to add the bottles to our already over heavy backpack, what can you do? Suffer on!

We paid a visit to Mona Lisa at the Louvre Museum. We could only see her from afar, as she had quite the fan base gathered around her. I thought it was quite sad, beautiful as Da Vinci's masterpiece was, there was an enormous museum filled with the most beautiful works of art, but all that the crowds of tourists cared for was to catch a glimpse of The Mona Lisa - how very cliche.

I also got some shopping done in Rue Rivoli, learned to use the subway and tried Starbucks Coffee. And even though I promised myself I would never look like a typical tourist, I was all video camera in hand, pocket pouch around my neck and complaining about how sore my feet were from walking. Hopefully tomorrow I will do better - hope, is a most beautiful drug.

Outside the Louvre

Beautiful buildings


My souvenirs for day one in Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment