As the final days of summer approaches Cape Town, I am having my last party with all the summer fruits. Frozen in my smoothies, freshly cut up with yogurt and honey for breakfast or serving it up with dual function as a beautiful centerpiece and delicious dessert.
This fresh strawberry galette emphasizes the strawberries sweetness, without an overload of added sugar. Serve the galette with airy whipped cream or caramel sauce.
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
8 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup ice cold water
2 tsp lemon juice
3 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 Tbs flour
1/4 cup sugar, plus more for dusting
1 egg yolk
1 tsp water
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a baking sheet. To prepare crust, combine flour, salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse twice to combine, add butter and pulse until mixture resembles course meal. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl whisk together yogurt, water and lemon juice.
3. Pour liquids over the butter mixture. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 20 minutes.
4. To prepare the filling, mix together almond meal, flour and sugar.
5. Roll dough out on a well floured surface into a 12 inch circle.
6. Transfer dough onto the baking sheet .Leaving a 2 inch border, spread the almond meal mixture evenly on the dough.
7. Arrange the strawberries on top and dust with sugar.
8. Fold over the edges of dough, pleating to make it fit.
9. Whisk together egg yolk and water and brush over the crust.
10. Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is puffy and golden brown.
Like the Fashionsandwich Facebook page for daily updates.