I received this chocolate cake recipe from my mother and have been making this fool proof recipe since I started baking at the age of nine. Now I use it as my base and simply add whatever is needed for the occasion - in this case peppermint crisp.
Ingredients: Makes 1 large cake or 36 cupcakes
500 ml hot water
1 tsp instant coffee powder
250 ml sunflower oil
100 g cocoa powder
630 g sugar
500 g cake flour
10 g baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 ml vanilla essence
100g dark chocolate, chopped
100g peppermint crisp chocolate, chopped
1 can of Treat Caramel
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.Mix hot water, coffee, oil and cocoa powder, leave to cool.
2. In a separate bowl, mix eggs and sugar well, until light and thick.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt, mix well and add to egg mixture.
4. Add vanilla to coffee mixture and fold coffee mix into egg mixture.
5. Divide mixture between two lined cake tins or 36 cupcake moulds.
6. Bake for 45 min(cake) or 20 min(cupcakes), cool before icing the cake.
1. For the ganache, melt the dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 95 seconds.
2. Add the caramel and 3/4 of the peppermint crisp chocolate, mix well.
3. Decorate cake with ganache and sprinkle remaing peppermint crisp chocolate on top.